June 19, 2026


This week brought a lot of fun, including working on our golf swing with Mr. Mike, continuing to share our enthusiasm for our favourite books of the year through our “Book in a Bag” project, and using our creativity during our “Design a Character” project. These end-of-year assignments are allowing for the application of literacy, math, and creative skills that students have worked on this year.


Learning Intentions:

Grade 3:

  • I can identify important characters, settings, and events in a story.

  • I can explain the main problem and solution in a story.

  • I can share my ideas and opinions about a book using examples from the text.

  • I can create visual representations that help communicate my understanding of a text.

  • I can present my ideas clearly to an audience using appropriate speaking skills.


Grade 4:

  • I can summarize a text by identifying important ideas, events, and themes.

  • I can explain how characters, settings, and events contribute to a story.

  • I can support my opinions about a book with evidence and examples from the text.

  • I can create visual and written responses that demonstrate my understanding of a text.

  • I can communicate my ideas effectively through oral presentations and discussions.


This week, students continued working on their Book in a Bag projects. They carefully designed cover art that represents an important event, character, or idea from their chosen book while ensuring they included the book title and author. Students also began bringing their stories to life by creating their symbolic objects using clay. Students started typing their summary, object explanation, and book recommendation paragraphs, applying the paragraph writing skills we have been practicing in class. We are looking forward to completing our projects and sharing them with classmates next week!


Learning Intentions:

Grade 3:

  • I can use a grid to create and describe shapes.

  • I can measure and record side lengths using square units.

  • I can identify the perimeter of a shape by finding the distance around it.

  • I can calculate the perimeter of shapes using side lengths.

  • I can explain my mathematical thinking using numbers, words, and diagrams.

Grade 4:

  • I can use a grid to create and describe shapes.

  • I can measure and record side lengths using square units.

  • I can determine the area of shapes by counting square units.

  • I can calculate the area of shapes by breaking them into smaller rectangles.

  • I can explain my mathematical thinking using numbers, words, and diagrams.


Students began an exciting math measurement project in which they are designing their own pixelated characters using grid paper. This week, students focused on carefully planning their designs, using square units to create characters with specific body parts while ensuring their shapes fit within the grid. Students also began measuring and recording the side lengths of different body parts, by carefully counting the sides on their polygons. Next, students continued their side length measurement to support calculating the perimeter (Grade 3) or area (Grade 4) of their characters. 


Reminders and Upcoming Dates:

  • The Lost and Found is overflowing! Remind your student to check this week!

  • June 24th: Grade 6 Farewell

  • June 25th: Sports Day and report cards are live.

  • June 26th: Last Day of Classes.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog